View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #442
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
I wrote you a really long and detailed response since I have the same two bikes, then the site ate my post. Ugggg.....! Anyway, take the Husaberg. I put 35,000 miles on my KTM 525 before I bought the Husaberg. Lots of dual sport with gear, and what not camping for weeks at a time. i thought the KTM was the best bike ever. Then I bought the Husaberg, with 5500 miles on my 2011 Husaberg, I haven't ridden the KTM 200 miles since buying the Husaberg. The KTM is still a great bike, but the Husaberg is better. Buy some Wolfman or Giantloop luggage (i run Wolfman stuff), get a 70 degree fuel tank, place a really good inline fuel filter on your bike, and invest in a really good sprocket and chain (the original was gone in 3300 mile). Put the LED rear taillight on your bike, and ride it wherever. That's my advice. I'll try to post some stuff that I've done to the Husaberg to make it better, but none of that is absolutely necesary, except maybe adding a HID headlamp bulb so you can see at night. These kits can be purchased from HD Bright for around $80.
Thanks Brian, I rode them both back to back just to see how much different they felt. Wow , no comparison. The Berg feels like an F1 rocket . The 525 feels slow to rev & wont hold a line nearly as well. I have already done the tail light from Paul, rad fan, fuel sock . The biggest improvement has been taking off the tiller handlebars & putting on the narrow bars from the older KTMs. This greatly reduced steering effort & weighty feeling in the tight stuff where I ride mostly. It took a little effort to get all the switchgear back on but is well worth it . Now I dont have to go throgh the Pines with the frt wheel partly cocked to make it throgh the 32 inch width trails. Also not working out the Cycras nearly as much. It really is the closest thimg to 2T handling as I have felt in a 4T. I have 2 gear setups & extra rear wheel. 15/45 & 13/50 with extra chain. I prefer13/50, but right now I am running 13/45. I like the 13 because it really helps lofting the frt. over large obstacles. Also makes it feel lighter to me. I dont do enough trips to justify a subframe tank. .Cheers