View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I have a couple of tents that I choose based on the situation. My go-to travel tent is the Redverz. Great people to work with and a great tent. It is huge, not big, freakin' huge. I am 6'4" and I love being able to get all my gear in the vestibule--the GS as well if I feel like it--and be able to stand up to get suited up. It is great if the weather is at all questionable or I am going to be traveling for an extended period. I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 as well. Another great tent if I am counting ounces and space. A great backpacking tent for two people or motorcycle tent for one. The Redverz is my One-Ton truck, the BA my Porsche.

A couple sleeping bags as well. A Big Agnes 20 degree "Park" Series poly bag, and a Big Agnes 15 degree "Mystic SL" down bag. The poly bag is my summer bag--very comfortable, but it packs big. The down bag is slimmer cut and is 800 fill down--it compresses down to nothing and is very warm. An Exped DM9 for the Park Series Bag, a BA Insulated Q-Core for the down bag. Love them both as they inflate to 3.5" thick and will keep my big carcass comfortable. A Nemo "Fillo" pillow rounds out the sleeping gear. Comfortable stuff and a great night's sleep.

I don't cook a lot when on the motorcycle. I have a MSR Reactor that is a great piece of kit and has been reliable from the low desert to 12,000 feet. Boils water fast and is great for dehy meals when backpacking, warming up a can of soup at night, or making coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Simple, reliable, packs light and small.

Its the little things that make a difference. As mentioned before, a Kelty Tarp (I have the 9x9) packs down to nothing and has a thousand uses. A good headlamp--I have a Black Diamond Storm, a good Multi-Tool--I like my Leatherman Wave, compression bags to pack and store the sleeping gear and a change of clothes--I like the Sea to Summit eVents, an IPad for reading, music and email when in range, Makers Mark 46 in a flask...and most importantly, an empty Gatorade bottle.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote