View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #532
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
It got me thinking if my BMW is too much. It maybe too complicated for a trip like this by myself. Maybe I should be on a bike with carbs and points and a distributer cap. Have things gotten overly complex in this world? Am I multiplying entities beyond necessity? Interesting arguement.................YOUR THOUGHTS???????
I guess I fall into the "minimalist" camp here. I haven't had much money to throw into riding, so I do a lot of research, follow developments of products I have interest in, and save save save...with the idea that by the time I have settled on a product, and have saved up the money, often the price has come down, and reliability issues with first gen products have been ironed out.

I don't have a moped, but I'd probably be a guy trying to get to or from Point Barrow on a Ninja 250...but ddennis669 did that already.

I've offended some "driving enthusiasts" by insisting that beyond ego, prestige, and nuances of style or performance some econobox gets you down the road "just as well" as a high performance sports car...usually less costly to purchase, operate and repair. Oh, I understand that if you live for the nuance, "the spirited ride" or "a machine with soul", it is night and day, and there isn't really a "right or wrong". Its just a different focus of interest. But, if the real object is to "get down the road"... Its pretty amazing the psychological contortions and sometimes outright tom-foolery we pull on ourselves. But, "the heart wants what the heart wants", is in itself valid.

I like knowing I can work on my bike, just about anything shy of dealing with engine internals on the road. But it is a simple, small, utilitarian bike. I have read where a couple rode a ninja 250 two-up to Peru from Texas, not the best tool for the job perhaps, but it still got them there. As for myself, on one hand I would like something more robust and "up to the task", on the other hand, I daydream of doing a real RTW trip on one just to prove to the naysayers "it can be done". Heck, if a guy can ride a Postie from Australia to England...egads!"

I guess it may fall back to "there is no perfect bike". Expensive bikes designed for RTW trips occasionally puke their engines nearly new. Basic bikes can do the same. Cost tends to go with reliability, but reliability seems to be related to the "simplicity - complicated" scale. Some machines are more complex and redundant to prevent a simple failure from taking it offline, but with more complexity there is also more to go wrong.

In a world of trade-offs, I guess everyone just has to find what compromises they can live with? Somewhere I have read, "never undertake an adventure by taking anything you could not stand losing", that's an odd thought. Sorry, no real answer, but your question is thought provoking and sometimes overlooked.