View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Atreyou OP
Having Fun

Oddometer: 122
My first trip on the big KTM. Not sure of tank range or whether we will be able to refuel at all in Engare Sero, so I take 14 liters of petrol with me in 1.5 liter Kilimanjaro water bottles. That and all of our camping gear, stove, etc. made for a really heavy bike.

[IMG][/IMG]

The gas station in Longido is my favorite in all of Tanzania. That's right, you can't see it because it isn't there. It is essentially a few gasoline drums locked in a tiny shed, served to you in a lemonade pitcher with tick marks per liter. You have to pick the guy from the crowd and then have him open up shop.

[IMG][/IMG]

Longido in the background. Clean clothes, clean bike, fully hydrated and fed. That lasted two minutes. We had been told that the road had been fixed (the Longido entrance to Natron has a reputation for being really gnarly - only a truck a day or so travels on it and it is in the middle of nowhere). Actually, after Kitumbeini it was just as brutal as the last time I rode it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Elephant tracks.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was sweltering hot and we had to keep hydrating.

[IMG][/IMG]

Atreyou screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:04 AM Reason: one image is wrong one
Atreyou is offline   Reply With Quote