View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
MWadv
Gravel Road Roamer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenws View Post
I'm planning a 2 or 3 week trip to Colorado next year and recently saw a video on riding the Engineer's Pass 4x4 road. Was wondering if I could get some advice from more experienced riders than myself (which is surely almost everyone).

Just purchased a 2009 BMW R1200GSA this past May. Not much previous experience riding. Prefer to stay off the main highways when I travel. Am used to gravel roads....in Iowa. Am looking to expand my experience level on the Colorado trip, but don't want to be stupid about it. Will be traveling alone, but wouldn't mind hooking up with some locals that know the scoop on conditions, weather, etc.

Would Engineer's Pass be too risky for someone like me?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Hey Steve, I got the same bug about 11 to 14 yrs ago. I'm from Illinois so I know what your after other than flat land gravel roads. The 1200 GSA is a great adventure bike and has all the potential to do Engineer Pass and many others. It only has a couple limitations 1: is tight and sloppy wet trails and 2: not too exprienced riders. Let me suggest something.
Go out there and scope it out and check out all the trails. You can rent a jeep and do some scouting or you can ride the trails until you reach your limits then turn around and come back the way you came. Engineer Pass is just one of a dozen "Byways" available to ride in Colorado. See WWW.coloradoscenicbyways.com for a complete list w/maps. Engineer pass is part of "The Alpine Loop". Some are tough as some are not so tough. I went out there solo and found my way and enjoyed it as some of the great adventures of my life. Be smart and watch the weather, always start your ride in the morning as it always rains in the mountains in the afternoon. If you ride solo always let someone know where your going. Always wise to ride public trails and tag along with another group (if possible). Have a cell phone with you and plenty of water.
Don't forget "Pikes Peak". I rode up that three times in one day. Look at "Gold Belt Tour". RT 550 from Ouray to Silverado is a great paved ride. Silverado is a good place to ride from to start "The Alpine Loop" to Lake City and loop around over Cinnemon Pass back to Silverado. Plent of places to turnaround.
You ask if Engineer Pass would be risky, well I'll answer back they are all risky, thats what make the Adventure. Do your research, develope a plan and get your blood pumping !! Have some fun. !!

MWadv screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:21 AM Reason: text
MWadv is offline   Reply With Quote