View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi levain,

Yeaaaahhh... As mentioned previously, our new Overlander 15 packs differ significantly from the US tail packs in the following areas:

1. Heavy duty 1000D Cordura construction to resist abrasion if and when the bike gets sleepy, and rips that could occur from close calls with rocky outcrops, branches, cactus etc. Also provides stiffness.
  2. Semi-rigid back to maintain the bag's shape when loaded.
  3. Stainless eyelets for secure attachment to pannier platforms.
I absolutely admire your dedication and loyalty to your trusty US packs , but would definitely recommend some additional padding in the base (and possibly the outer face - perhaps a layer of foam between the outer shell and inner white liner)) of the bags and solid strapping support below them.

At the moment you're relying on the quick-release clips to support the entire weight. These things are more than up to the job of keeping a bag attached to a seat / rack, there's a definite possibility of them 'quick-releasing' a bit too quickly when asked to support vertical weight over rough ground.

I'm sure you're on top of these issues, but the last thing I want is one of them popping off and jamming in your rear wheel.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,

Michael
Mike,
thanks for the advise. I thought about them popping off, and well yeah. Ending up in the rear wheel could be bad. Then, I realized that Wolfman is essentially doing the same thing so.... Their's is a little more elegant, but only because the racks and bags are designed to work together. No doubt about it, this is a little "off" but no more than trying to fit any generic soft luggage to a generic rack.

The foam idea is a good one. I've been trying to decide the best material to use in between the outer bag and the inner bag to stiffen it up a little. I'll check into that.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote