View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #31831
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Trip binfo

TNX guys,

Skierd I believe I did read some of your RR from Maryland to Deadhorse a few months back.
I did my previous trip in 5 months & 26000miles in 2010; can see @
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875) not my best; and was at the Dawn 2 Dawson and Top of the World Highway(@<30mph in heavy rain; a motorhome went off the road just ahead of me and it was a race from the gas pump at Chicken past the acc. scene to beat the tow truck and the inevitable multi hour road block) I made an attempt (2) in the rain to go up the Dalton on my overloaded KTM 990, but turned around NEAR THE Yukon river. 15mph for 250miles to Coldfoot was just not getting done for me. This trip I'll probably shoe on a HEIDENAU K60 front and Dunlap 606 I'll order; I didn't see any 120/80-18's on there website but if it is available and you think it will last just as well or better than the 606 I'll try that. I know Dan and Shaun from my 2010 trip (@ ADV cycle works). I'm coming up with a conservative estimate of 12,000 miles over 2 months period. I did 3 annuals in 3 mo., 4 oil and filter changes 5 front and 6 rear tires on the KTM on that trip. This time I'll start with fresh oil semi-syn 3-4500miles changes, Scott's metal reusable filter. New sprockets (14/49 for hiway, spare 51LW for change over in Fairbanks), and new chain on new Warp 9 wheels, new brake pads fresh brake fluid. Fresh lube on steering stem bearings and swing arm bearings. My WRR is a 2011 bought new in April and has 5900miles now. I have Safari 3.7g tank, rotopax/koplin fuel cell holder on my Wolfman rack, and a collapsible 8L fuel bladder if it ever gets here from Australia; so I should have fuel range covered to get up to Prudhoe Bay and back.
TNX Pantah for your info, I've used the Mefo's on the KTM and only got <5000 on the rear. Mostly highway so no mud experience with them. They are mostly for heavy weight dual sports. I used TKC80's from Fairbanks to try the Dalton and they lasted over to D2D down to Whitehorse, Skagway(ferry to Prince Rupert) Hyder, then Prince George. I did get a tire(rear) but I can't remember where. Stayed at the college a couple days before moving out to Jasper, then Calgary Stamped and points south.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote