View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #71929
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good luck finding something that works ... but you ask a lot when you add the Two UP feature.

A WR250R is not going to cut it unless your wife is super petite and a professional gymnast or pro dancer (toughest women in the world!).
Got to go ONE WAY or THE OTHER. Not ALL WAYS at once ALL on one bike!

Agree W/what others have said: ... the DR650 is, IMO, about as close to a DO IT ALL bike as there is, especially if you figure in reliability and price.

I first rode a '96 DR650 ... that was in '96! Had owned an XL600R, new '92 XR650L before the '96 DR650. To me, at the time, the DR was just "OK". But I never did even one mod on it. (it was a Suzuki press bike so only spent a couple weeks with it)

Several bikes since ... including new KLR650 ('98), '01 KTM 640, XR250R, DRZ400. The KTM was a terrible street bike for me; TOO TALL, worst vibes of anything I've ever ridden.

Years later, came back to the DR650 after venturing through many sport bikes, TDM850, BMW's and Moto Guzzi and Vstrom's.
In '06 re-discovered the DR650 ... got onto the good mods and have never looked back. I love it.

I still have my NON plated WR250F for real dirt riding, but for fire roads, Desert and Baja the DR is quite impressive. With a Corbin seat its ten hour a day capable, can haul a huge load or passenger. Has never missed a beat. How many KTM owners can honestly state that after 50K miles?

I am looking forward to putting some miles on my new to me DR, my first DR. This weekend 2 or 300 miles is in the plans.