View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,322
I agree with Pantah as long as we are talking about a modern sporty bike. The rear wheel accounts for such a small amount of the stopping traction IF you are properly applying the front brake, that there is a good argument for putting 100 percent of your concentration into getting the maximum front brake usage. In a good panic stop the rear tire should be either off the pavement or only have a few lbs load, and that should be with your butt slid back. Unless you have ABS, if you are not getting the rear wheel off the ground and/or getting the front wheel marginally locked up, you are not getting all you can out of the front.

This thread is a good argument for linked ABS brakes. One great thing about having ABS brakes is it makes high speed full on brake practice safer. For the first several years I owned my GSA with ABS I would practice panic stops at 75mph until the ABS kicked in every day. Don't understand how people talk about never locking up their brakes. Seems like you should be locking your brakes or having your ABS kick in during practice on a regular basis.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote