View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #49
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Well hold on... bringing Moto GP on slicks with professional riders on board, into this argument about a beginner learning to brake on a highway, is about as relevant as comparing horse apples to porcupines....

I would think its about a more gradual load on the tire and not locking the front. Relying solely on the front to take all the braking load, especially in a panic stop, is asking for a lockup of the front wheel. Add a curve in the road, and without proper practice, its much easier to wash out the front.

With rear, you can preload the bike, then transfer to the front, and ease up on the rear as needed.

And yes, unless you are stoppie-ing every time you come to a stop, your rear tire is still contacting the pavement and is still responsible for bike's braking. Braking with the engine by downshifting does not give you anything that a rear brake wouldn't give you, with a lot cheaper maintenance costs in a long run.
I didn't put that in until someone else posted up a gp bike saying that it had a rear brake.

As for slicks, the difference of grip is proportional. Sure you have less front tire grip, but you have the same amount of grip difference in the rear so you can compare them.

Teaching the beginner the same concept as a professional racer seems fine to me. It allows them to slow down as fast as possible.
Racers don't slam on the brakes, they gradually load the front just like a normal street bike.
As for preloading the front, this is done just by rolling off the throttle before apply the brakes. (how I personally do it, but rear brakes is perfect also).