View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #71940
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
After taking a rock to the case a month ago and having the DR totaled, I was on the fence about what to do for a replacement bike. (you can see it happen at minute 2:10 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cR80h-QNo&feature=plcp the rock i hit was sticking up a few inches out of the dirt and was less than a foot long and kind of pointed. Just bad luck that i hit it and it punched the oil drain up into the case and also caused the rear clamp on the skid plate to knock a hole in the back. The insurance company was going to fix the engine, but the bent frame tube was enough to push the repair cost over 85% of the bikes value.)
It's difficult to get a feel for just how high up that launched you before you came down, but it obviously sucked.

Question for ya - did you have an upgraded suspension (stiffer springs) on that bike? It sort of looked like the stock springs, as I know mine are so weak that they'd 'disappear' underneath me if I tried anything like that. I'm just wondering if upgraded springs would have prevented some of the hurt (though it's tough to get away from the harm a poorly design skid plate will do).
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote