View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #266
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I find it hard to believe people knocking the heros of the Dakar. The mini isn't a "mini" its just a body on a custom race car...everyone needs a sponsor. It is a 14+ day race and reliability is as big a factor as performance. The guy who wins did it right, the guy who shows up with a badass car that can't finish did it wrong...plain and simple. Speed, power and performance are only one factor in the Dakar. This separates the Dakar from races like the baja races and other shorter rallies (amongst other things like chasing silly waypoints, etc ).

I enjoy Robby as much as the next guy, he is entertaining and good in that he brings more interest in the race for North Americans. I've never quite understodd the US mentality of us versus them... These people aren't racing to represent their country (although having a country sponsor some competitors is a very cool idea, better than handing out money to people who are too lazy to work )..

Just my two cents...23 days until go time
The "US vs Them" is our culture. Look at the NFL Football. We are as hard on ourselves as anyone. It makes for sales and sales make for money to pay people to race. I know some do it for free, hell a lot of participants pay for the chance to participate. I have contributed to several racers to give them the money to play.

It is a show and shows cost money, some people make money on this show, at least the winners probably do. All the more fun to follow and generate interest and interest generates money.

The ASO has figured this out, the beverage companies have figured it out, and if Peterhansel thinks he is above that, I do believe he is delusional.