View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
OK then, two in the audience so its a go! It was a go anyway, we want another Beemer!

Step one, check the health ourselves- this means a compression test and a super deluxe differential compression test. To do this on these engines we need to dis engage the decompression lever or we'll have some leakage there. Don't worry, I'll video how the decompression lever works. To get to that, the valve cover needs to be off at a minimum so start throwing parts off. Oh yeah, you need to know what the compression is supposed to be in the first place I think its 170 (pretty high).

Once we got down in there, we hooked up my el-cheapo dial with the included correct adapter to fit in this plug hole (Eric's high-end auto rig didn't have it taped the decompression lever out of the way with electrical tape (it worked and surprised me), rigged the battery back up, and turned it over. We read 130psi then moved on to the differential compression test:

Here we located top dead center, locked the cam with the special (BMW) bolt and cranked in 100 psi then read what the cylinder was holding (30).

divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote