View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,098
I had a white '84 for a while. Goddamn that was a fun little car.

There was no center diff, so you could only use 4WD on loose surfaces. Lots of fun playing rally car on gravel roads, and it was indeed almost impossible to get stuck.

I just had to keep plugging up the massive rust holes in the body with more spray foam every few months. I sold it to a friend eventually, and she drove it until the strut towers started to fall apart from corrosion. She drove it to the junk yard at somewhere close to 400,000 miles and cried like she was having a good dog put down.

Cheap and easy to service, too. For example, the front struts used cartridges. When I replaced the clutch, getting the transmission and transfer case out and back in by myself was a bit of a bear (OMFG heavy...). Lots of room to work on stuff.

TONS of room inside, too -- the high roof in the back meant you could haul SOOOOOOO much crap.

Mine was an SR5 with the goofy little tilt-o-meter on the dash.

My wife hated the thing. I guess it did smell a little funny...

And yes, I wish Toyota would make a new one. Keep it light, simple, and rugged. Alas, the closest things we have nowadays are porky expensive Subarus. Toyota's RAV4 started out OK, but has grown to the approximate size, weight, and cost of an Abrams tank for some reason.

Toyota's pickups have the same problem, come to think of it. They started out as cheerful little cheap-to-drive pickups in a usefully small size, and then bloated to the point there's little difference and no mileage or cost benefit over buying a full-size pickup.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 04:40 PM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote