View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #95
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
I am not talking about going around in a parking lot and using the back brake, I am talking about on the freeway and coming to a stop.

I have been telling my girlfriend not to use the rear brake on the street. Her front brake is more than enough to stop and she just needs to smoothly keep applying more pressure on it to stop, and even harder to stop faster.

The point of telling her not to use it during normal stops is because during an emergency brake, it is very hard to feather the rear brake and not lock it up and by not using it everyday, she won't slam down on it during an emergency brake out of habit.

So what is your opinion on this matter on teaching beginners about braking?

Personally, I very rarely use the rear brake.
Let me try this from a different angle for ya...
If you were 100% sure that you were doing the exact right thing by teaching your girlfriend to brake this way, you wouldn 't have posted up asking for everyone's opinions (unless you were just trying to stir the pot). You've heard many opinions, most of them telling you that you are wrong, but some that agree with you. Since you're not going to get any consensus here, and since you're not 1000% sure....my recommendation to you is to quit teaching your girlfriend and let a professional instructor do it.
Good luck.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote