View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #115
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
But repeatedly doing something risky successfully for 25 years in the real world, where doing it wrong could and likely will fuck you up sooner or later, means doing it mostly right. I try to not have to emergancy brake, but I can't predict absolutely everything all the time, especially in heavy traffic like SoCal perpetually has. So it happens now and then. I consider the emergency stop to be a *very* important skill, as any time you need to do it, the consequences of doing it wrong are likely to be heavy. So I have taken care to know what I'm doing there. And the method I outlined is the best one there is.
Or you over estimated the risk of riding, or took less than average risk.

Risk mitigation is the most effective riding stragety and if you're doing it right you should never have to "panic stop".

What is your high performance riding experience? And what's your experience on high performance bikes

Quote:
In a literal sense, the clutch comment is from the fact that engine braking usually involves downshifting, which involves the clutch and more specifically involves modulating the clutch with some slip as you re-engage it after the downshift so as not to break the rear wheel loose. Which does cost some clutch wear.
I guess if you fuck up your downshift and miss the rev match that's the case.

Quote:
More generally, engine braking involves reversing the stresses on the entire drivetrain, and pushing backwards on everything, which really isn't a great idea. So for best care of the bike, it's better to not do a lot of engine braking, and if you want to apply some braking force at the rear, use the rear brake, as that's what it is designed for, and not the engine, which is not optimized for that purpose
please... that's non-sense.

Quote:
That has been done MANY times, by various magazines and other groups. EVERY time, they find that using the both brakes makes you stop faster. On some bikes (cruisers, tourers, scooters) the rear brake adds a lot of braking power. On standards a middling amount. On sportbikes a small amount, but not zero. And on all but the best surfaces, the rear is more helpful. I think the last one I saw was from Cycle World, and a couple of the very best riders were able to equal their distances using the front only vs. both, but still only a couple of them, and only on sportbikes on good surfaces.
Quote:
And no, if you lock the front and are less than a supreme expert, you are falling down regardless of what the rear is doing. So you won't have a worse time at all if both lock vs. just the front. Nope. Wrong. Fail.
HAHA. Please. Go do it. Go lock up the front, and then go lockup the front while hard on the rear tell me which time you find the pavement like a sack of shit instantly.

Quote:
Have you actually ridden a motorcycle before? Do you know what the clutch is? Even the newest rider knows to pull in the clutch while braking, and that's a universal reflex, requiring no extra attention, among people who have actually ridden more than once. Sheesh.
Have you preceeded beyond newb level? Most "advanced" riders leave the clutch out while they're braking unless they are actively engaged in rev matching, or stopped.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote