View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
FWIW, I would consider it foolhardy to jump into a new business without spending any time working in that industry. I been creating websites for 20 years and some of the biggest failures I've seen have been when people think "I created my own (or some group they belong to) website and everyone thinks its great. I'm going to open my own web design company". They find that something was was fun as a hobby not only isn't fun but that their skills aren't what they thought they were when they try to go "pro".

Sometimes they try to go and market by themselves and quickly fold. Sometimes they buy a franchise that offers support including site packages with designers in India, China or some other location who will do all the bells and whistles coding of the sites in their packages.They will provide marketing materials and email campaign templates. I've gotten several from people who bought a franchise then joined the local chamber of commerce. Some of them have paid significant amounts of money ($20-50,000) for their franchise. I've yet to see a single one make it that didn't have extensive previous experience in creating websites. Their expectations on what can be done for what price and still be able to make a living is simply not realistic. They find that those support people aren't always what they are cracked up to be or that what they think would take 2-3 days takes 10x as long because clients want changes or there is a problem that crops up they don't know how to fix.

I grew up working in my mother's real estate and property management company. I've worked retail and owned my own antique store. None of which would prepare me for running a scooter shop. My suggestion would be to get a job in the industry and work a minimum of 6 months in a scooter shop. See what it actually involves, time and money commitments. Get involved with the local scooter community, if there isn't one - work on creating one. Only then would you be able to understand whether or not owning and running a scooter shop is for you. Oh, and you better get at least enough scooter wrenching skills to be able to do oil changes and the most common repairs. If you are going to get Bintelli scooter then get training on working on each and every one of their models. Same with any other brands you are going to carry. I know from my local Vespa/Piaggio dealers (and posts on Modern Vespa) that you won't get a dealership with them or if you somehow do (say buying an existing dealership) you won't get the newer engine scoots like the BV 350 until after you have a certified trained mechanic on that engine. If you don't want to wrench then you better make sure you can keep a qualified mechanic full time and that there is a pool of trained mechanics available in your area (or be willing to pay for their training yourself.) Otherwise, you are likely to fail if you cannot provide support for the scoots you sell. You will also want to be able to service other common scoots in your locality. That's how you'll stay in business.

While I prefer name brand scooters there is a market for lower cost ones. If Bintelli can provide quality and proper support you may find them profitable. If you have to provide too much support at those reimbursement rates you won't. Don't know them so I can't say either way.

A local shop here sells Genuine Scooters and a couple of non brand name low cost scoots , part of his market are students/recent high school graduates in their first job where cost is a big factor in their purchase. I bought my Buddy there and they not only have been in business since at least 2005 but have also expanded considerably since then. However, they service even the ordered over the internet scooters which helped them considerably during the leaner economic years..
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote