View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Mrprez if you can tell me how to reply to just a certain section of your response instead of my quoting your whole post that would be great! I could never figure out how people do that when they respond to section by section.
So I'll have to do it old school. To refer back and forth from my atlas maps and the gps what I did was remove only the necessary pages from each atlas which when it's all said and done is equivalent to carrying only one atlas for the whole country! I made a plastic pocket cover for it and reinforced it with duct tape with a velcro lid-seems to work real well.

Photobucket

I'm in total agreement that you'll need a super accurate odometer-I've installed a ICO Racing Dual Sport VRL(with battery back-up) which allows me to move forward or backwards my odometer reading (which is in tenths)-just incase I miss that turn and have to turn around. If I didn't have a unit with that odometer feature,I don't think I would have even considered bringing the roll charts.

Photobucket

The problem you mentioned in OR I think (hope) I've addressed for the entire TAT. I chose to transfer Sam's maps to the atlas' because the detail the atlas' show is excellent,but Sam's maps can be confusing. Plus because of the atlas' size I can better understand the bigger picture.
Photobucket

If you notice in this picture I've highlighted any and all camping along the TAT as well as marked the hotel/Gas/food locations with my color code system.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote