View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
More electrical outlets than you think you need.
this, and lots of lights with light colored walls. a lot easier to work when you can see. don't waste bench top space with a bandsaw. I have a large Ellis and a Milwaukee portoband, and I rarely use either of them. if you want to cut thin metal used a .045'' cut off wheel on a 4.5'' grinder much faster and your not dictated by throat size. if you need to make lots of cuts you could get a portoband with a base, I don't know if dewalt makes a base for theirs but I like using that one better than my milwaukee.

If you're going buy a vise get a good one the cheep ones break easily. you can not weld them back together. (actully you can but it is a total pain in the ass)

make the bench as heavy as you need it to support a LOT of weight. use 2 or 3 layers of 3/4 plywood with braces on 16'' centers with a 1/4'' steel plate on top. this will be nearly indestructable.

remember to put a shield behind your grinder to stop the wall from catching fire.