View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Engine removal

I agree with oldxr. But, we may also have an issue with the seal that typically goes as well. Probably will split the case as well.

Based on what Max described in the paperwork, I give them high marks for giving the customer what was a real diagnosis.

And you can see the other non-BMW shop had some wrong diagnosis.

Time to take the engine out. I don't think we looked at a manual at all- instead just removed stuff in the way. The radiator needed to come out. Of course all the stuff that could get bent/broken like throttle body, oil pipes (metal) and disconnected all the plugs. It's pretty intuitive to get it all back together, like plug-and-play. Key is of course to bag and mark the parts that are a group and better yet, order them for installation.

Taking the swingarm/engine mount bolt out, we just slid in another rod in place to avoid taking the whole end off. I think the last mount to come out/off was the top Castle Nut adjusting thing. We didn't have the "tool" but got to the inside of the nut and that was fine. The lower black kickstand bracket swung back as we left the rear bolt in place

We used the motorcycle lift to support it, then slide out to the left.

Eric, chime in if I missed some things.

divimon2000 screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 06:54 AM Reason: addition
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote