View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #261
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Chain Guard Update

I have gotten a lot of work done on the X650 chain guard. It has been quite a part to layup, but I'm surprised how well it turned out. The mold has worked flawlessly as well.

So far I have pulled the part from the mold, rough trimmed the part, did the fine sanding up to the trim lines, casted the front bolt mount, sanded the parting line smooth, and applied an epoxy re-coat. Tonight I'll do the fine sanding on the epoxy finish coating, and apply clear UV coat. The last step will be to wet sand and polish the clear. It should end up pretty fancy; maybe too fancy for a BMW. More like one of those fancy parts that you would find on a KLR probably.

Here's the catch. The guard is a Christmas gift for inmate adventureerik, so I won't be posting any pics of the part until after the 22nd which is when he will receive it. No worries though. After that date, I'll post lots of pics of the finished part on the bench, as well as on the bike.

Stay tuned.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 04:21 PM
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote