View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #4542
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
How much can those little wires take? I think my max would be electric vest, GPS or phone, and heated grips??
The "City light" that those wires are intended for is 4 Watts, or 0.33 Amps. They're pretty small wires, but I don't know the gauge.

I used the city lights wires for only a relay. I ran two 10G wires (fused) to the front of my bike and branch it there to run the clock/volt/temperature display, the GPS, and my jacket. A smaller wire would do OK, but would give low voltage readings when the 90W jacket is on.

You don't tell the ratings for your grips or vest, so I'll guess 20W grips and 40W vest for 60W or 5A. That'd be fine IF that wire is 14G, but I doubt that it's that large. 16G would just pass. Looking at the outside of the insulation I'd expect it to be 1mm or about 18G. JUST GUESSING.

There are threads about ONLY the city lights wires, and you can use Goog or Bing to search
Code:
"city lights" site:www.advrider.com
to read many more guesses by other guessers.

EDIT: Even 18G will safely carry 5A for your devices. The problem with 18G wires going more than a few feet is that pushing 5A of 12V through that small wire causes the voltage to drop. When the voltage drops your resistance devices (vest and grips) pass less current and don't heat up as much. If it IS 18G it'll be safe for 16 Amps, but the voltage will be low.

Grinnin screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 05:51 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote