View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #1169
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
What bugs me is that I'm starting to get old - I don't want to have to lift up a 400+ lb bike when I'm out alone and just had a get-off out in nowhere land (perhaps injured). Right now my ride is a WR250R, which has a good suspension (shock modified) good range (aftermarket tank) and weighs in at about 300 lbs wet. It is good on the road and the trail - full confidence in that bike handling-wise - but it's under 30 hp. I would love a 45 HP version to be able to pass on the hiway, roost up some hill, have a bit more fun, etc.
Why are you telling me this, you ask? Because even though the WR250R is fairly heavy, most of the weight is well thought out...heavier brake rotors than the off-road version, a heavy-duty sub-frame yet aluminum hubs and wheels that are shared with the off-road bikes, aluminum USD's that are virtually the same as the off-road bike, a hybrid aluminum-steel frame, aluminum swingarm, alum brake pedal, etc.
Now dammit, why didn't the Husky use some aluminum too? I bet this bike could have dropped 30 or more lbs using $50 worth of aluminum.
There is no good reason that this bike wouldn't have worked for a broader spectrum of riders with a little more design effort - for little additional cost.
If "dead-lifting the bike" is the chosen standard of comparison.....ride an Observed Trials bike!

Now then, I happen to know a thing or three about the WRR. It's a real fun bike in the woods, as you say.....until you ride a Husaberg FE390. . Makes that WRR suddenly feel rather KLRish. Blame Einstein for the Theory of Relativity, I'm only confirming it. How a bike feels in motion is the greatest concern to me.

My test ride of the Terra really surprised me, in this regard. On the roads, it felt quite effortless and weightless in motion. Very compact, nimble, & mortard-like....and solidly planted. The power-to-weight ratio was flirting in the magical zone. Enough to make me smile and then I sensed real potential here....where the things not easily changed (motor and frame geometry) seemed quite good.

I did not lay it over and try picking up the Terra, but I bet it's not as difficult as paper specs would imply. My F800GS, equipped to my personal specs) weighs 510 lbs (the heaviest on the scale of all DS bikes I've owned), yet is not difficult to pick up at all. Quite surprisingly so.

To keep with your line of comparison, my KLR was about 440 lbs and...well...just plain sucked to pick up. To put it kindly. Very top-heavy and stubborn. My 950 Adventure was downright deadly to pick up....the one and only time I did so. Swore I'd never do that again...and made good on it. My behemoth Goldwing (exceeding 800 lbs) was significantly easier to pickup from a nap than my 950.

Personally, I trust my feelings, and there were some good vibrations. Hhhmmm...I need another ride!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote