View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #2427
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Hey Geek

Great Sprinter build. I was gonna buy a 20 yr old Eurovan Westfalia but now I have decided I don't want to spend that much on a old vehicle. So I'm thinking Sprinter. I'm gonna use it for basically the same thing you are using yours for. Tired of tenting. I'll keep it pretty basic till it's paid off. I just want to sleep in it and be able to swivel the seats around and sit in it when the weather is bad. I don't really plan on spending much time standing in it. I'll cook at the picnic table or portable table under the awning off the van. I'm 6' 2" but I think I'd be ok with the standard height crew van. Cheaper and better on fuel. What are your thoughts on roof height now you have had yours for a while. Thanks Blair
Have you considered the Nissan NV (assuming they're offered in Canada)? I've seen them bought OTD in the mid-$20K(US) range. Owners are reporting upper-teens for MPG, with a high-roof and V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
imho, buy the tall one... that's the point of the sprinter for me.

I would gladly give up a mpg for the tall one. I LOVE being able to stand up inside. Getting into your riding gear.. or out of... or getting changed.. etc - it is so nice being able to stand up and stretch out in the thing.

Being able to stand up and walk around the bikes when you are tying them down.. being able to put a tall bike inside like the 950 and it fits no problem and without having to crawl around being bent over. You don't have to compress the forks or remove the windscreen on tall bikes.

The extra vertical space also provides tons of storage if you put in top cabinets like I have - all for free (no extra length).
My one upper cabinet down the driver's side is more than enough to hold all of two people's riding gear - helmets, boots, kneepads, armor, ride pants, etc - completely with space left over - and you've not used 1 inch of floor space.

...but I'm biased
Having lived OTR as a truck driver for 18yrs, I have to agree. Going from a flattop cab to a mid-roof to a stand-up sleeper makes one spoiled and not willing to go back to a flattop.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote