View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #815
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I would like to know this as well....

Not being a mechanical guy, and having read all that I can find - and made blind assumptions - I would offer that a) most people want shorter bikes and b) (if I interpret what I have read correctly, and this is far from certain) it might put slightly more stress on that joint/hinge system.

If people are going to manufacture and sell a custom part, it pays to focus on where the masses want to buy, ie longer links resulting in shorter bikes.

I am with you on this issue, would love to add an inch or so to my seat height and wouldn't mind more ground clearance so I might have to find someone to help me with making some inexpensive links to experiment with before doing it correctly with more rugged components. I'm 6'5" and nearly 280lbs (dry weight) so durability will eventually be a concern.

I am open to feedback and thoughts
Changing to a shorter link won't affect durability. Not sure who makes links to RAISE the bike ... most of the ones out there are for making it lower. For your height and weight you will need the whole package to really get the most from your DR650.

Just a few options:
1. Heavier springs front and rear
2. Possible NEW shock with adjustable ride height, correct spring and damping for your weight and riding style.
3. Foot Peg lowering kit: (Pro Cycle) gives tall guys more leg room.
4. Custom seat: with a 2 inch "tall guy" rise.
5. Possible aftermarket forks: these are typically LONGER than stock forks ... so helps with raising the whole bike UP. Be sure to balance rear height to match front.
6. Rising Link to raise rear up a bit.

Once correctly sprung I doubt you'll have ground clearance problems unless you're riding Enduros on your bike. The DR is not really a good technical trail bike. But for just about anything else it's not too bad.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote