View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #7726
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Also let us know if the new rotor gets rid of the squeal with the stock one.
The original 640 pad /wheel {up to 03} combo had a tendency to squeal, some said it was because of a harmonic/stress problem that would cause spoke breakage as well... There is likely something to that theory as KTM recalled those original 640A wheels and replaced them with an Excel rimmed unit from the 450-525s... For the lighter E models the recall supplied plastic spoke ties...

I chalked up the cause of squeal to the original OEM pads and glued a piece of gasket paper to the back of each pad and this quieted the noise... The OEM rear pads at certain stages of dryness would also squeal so they got the treatment as well... I replaced the back with some EBC units {FA-20 x?} and the same to the front a while later and these new pads did not squeel... I believe the EBC pad size #s were PE 1604 front and PE 1605 back....

I have used up many sets of pads on my main 640 and now just shop for the best buy rather than brand and put up with a squeal ,which does not happen as often on afermarket as it did with the original hard OEM units ...

By the way, after 155,000 KM the original front rotor still has quite a bit of life left in it, just replaced the front caliper for the first time {damned those water crossings:http://contour.com/stories/640-vs-malms-pond-trail--2 }... I am on my 4th rear rotor and near the end of the 2nd rear calipers life...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 09:05 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote