Thread: Alcohol Stoves
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #537
Landro
Slippery when wet

Oddometer: 29
Came back from an overseas trip to find 2 Stevers and 2 Simmers waiting in the mail box for me; a set for me and a set for the stepson for Xmas. Made tea in the garage yesterday (torrential rain outside) and it worked like a hot damn. WAAAAY better than my Trianga alky burner. I was bit nervous about the pot stability though. Gonna have to experiment with a stand/support that still allows the pot to seal the top of the stove and pressurize the jets.

A quick comment about fuel. I know you recommend methyl alcohol (hydrate, HEET, etc.) as the best and cleanest burning. And I certainly have used it with success in the Trianga. However, I have read in a couple of places now that it is very toxic (most notably the Zen Stoves website; a must read if you are interested in alky stoves IMHO) . Even the fumes from burning are supposedly bad in your food and water (and not just the CO that burning any organic creates). So I decided to stick with denatured ethanol which allegedly is less toxic and has a slightly better BTU per liter content. Got a nice big 4 liter jug of 98-99% ethanol from Canadian Tire for cheap (it's used as a fireplace fuel and can be found in that section for our Canadian readers).

Worked just fine. Slightly yellower flame with a bit more soot on the pot; easily wiped off. Hot and fast burn. And no risk of growing a third arm or having my skin fall off from toxic fumes YMMV

Anyways... Hell of a fine product for a great price from a true gentleman. Thanks Steve.