Thread: Alcohol Stoves
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #538
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landro View Post
I was bit nervous about the pot stability though. Gonna have to experiment with a stand/support that still allows the pot to seal the top of the stove and pressurize the jets.
Teaser: Another inmate is currently working on a stand/windscreen to work with the SteverStove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landro View Post

A quick comment about fuel. I know you recommend methyl alcohol (hydrate, HEET, etc.) as the best and cleanest burning. And I certainly have used it with success in the Trianga. However, I have read in a couple of places now that it is very toxic (most notably the Zen Stoves website; a must read if you are interested in alky stoves IMHO) . Even the fumes from burning are supposedly bad in your food and water (and not just the CO that burning any organic creates). So I decided to stick with denatured ethanol which allegedly is less toxic and has a slightly better BTU per liter content. Got a nice big 4 liter jug of 98-99% ethanol from Canadian Tire for cheap (it's used as a fireplace fuel and can be found in that section for our Canadian readers).
First I've heard of Methyl being unhealthy. I will look into this as I don't want to recommend something bad.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote