View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
OK, it's Sunday night and I'm pretty deep in the rye after the Seahawks 3rd big win in a row , so forgive me for my ignorance, but I thought I'd weigh in for the 1st time on the swaybar question.

I know there's lots of guys here who are high on swaybars, but I never saw what's the fuss. Now, I'm not a suspension guy. Not by any means. Suspensions I find to be pretty confusing. But Dirty's recommendation to read this article by Bill Ballou and to watch the vids (here) sounded reasonable to me. So I did.

I do think that I understand the swaybar thing better now. And that's not saying I didn't look into it before. I've read about them before, seen many of Claude's posts, and even examined up close a swaybar sidecar setup that Claude had done--

Anyway, I guess now I can see how on hard sweepers the swaybar would help to distribute the downward pressure between the rear bike wheel and the sidecar wheel and give me better control and maybe let me take those sweepers a little faster than I already do. (Of course, according to my monkee, I already take sweepers too fast, and my standard response is still the same--"Ride monkee with Boxertwin, Queen Bee, then tell me how fast I'm going!") .

But for the nasty, rocky, rutty, potholed, washboarded dirt and gravel roads that attract me like blowflies to a salmon carcass, I don't want those bumps and knocks transferred from one wheel to the other. The way I ride, I try to straddle the worst of the stuff, but that's often impossible, so I let the sidecar wheel take the abuse, while I try to find a line that will leave the bike suspension remains relatively unperturbed.

After watching those two little vids (which are really gif's but only a nerd would care about the difference), it seems like when I hit a big hole or rock with the sidecar wheel, a swaybar would transfer part of that suspension action to the bike, which is not desirable. At least to me. Am I missing something, or is a swaybar essentially a good thing on paved roads and a negative for us guys who like to get out into the backcountry and explore dirt roads?

Picture whores, I have not forgotten you--