View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #13866
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello Silent Hunter,

if you're not in desperate need of your Big as a daily driver: take a short time and wait for comments of wiser fellows here. You probably save some money. As far as I understand it fuel always goes through the pump although it's only needed when the level of fuel in the tank is lower than the position of the carbs. But I can't tell you if there is also a flow of fuel if the engine is not running. Me, I would expect a flow as the SR 41 models suffer from fuel in the engine-oil if the rubber seals of the needle-valves are shot and you forget to turn the petcock to 'off'.

Sorry as I can't give more advice. This is what I know up to this moment. I'm also fiddling in this area as the right half of my tank usually stops providing fuel to the left half and to the carbs if the level gets lower than 2/3s of it's contents. Thus I'm carrying around some 10 litres of fuel for nothing ... At the moment I'm adressing this phenomenon to a partwise blocked fuel-pipe in the tank.

Kind regards, Bambi
Bro, can you run your bike on reserve until the left tank is totally empty but the right tank is still 2/3 full?
If you can, it means the hose that links the 2 tanks is blocked. It's a simple matter to dismount the tanks and change/ flush the hose.

If you got 1/3 fuel left in both tanks and the bike is starved of fuel. Chances are your fuel pump is shot. :(

I had this problem early this year with the fuel pump. The bike will still run as long as there is enough fuel to provide pressure in the fuel tank.
What my mech did to solve the problem temporally while I order the re-build kit to arrive was to link the hose from the fuel tank to the carb inlet and let the gravity pull the petrol in.

However, once the fuel has 10 Liters or less, it stops running. My mech had advised me to keep the fuel fully topped up, but I figured I should be able to make it back home with 2/3 tank. I found out the hard way when the bike stalled on the way home and I had to push the bike 2km back uphill to the nearest petrol station.

Silent Hunter screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 11:46 PM
Silent Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote