Thread: 2013 Yamaha FJR
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #158
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post
I just put a deposit on the 2013 FJR after 20+ years away from biking. I rode a 1956 Panhead hardtail with 10" over Durfee girder front-end for many years. I'm a bit older now (mature ), and find that a long distant tourer appeals to me now. Somewhat apprehensive about riding again, I'm also very excited about getting on the road with two wheels.
I'm going to second the notion of a safety course.

It's been twenty years since you exercised some coordination and reflexes- and then in ways quite different from where you're heaeded- and traffic management skills that have become even more critical to your survival.

There's the obvious option of a BRC- which I wouldn't discount if it's really been 20 years since you last had to coordinate motorcycle controls; many students do well to have the extra time going over the very basics- but also depending on where in Florida you are, there are BRC2, Bike Bonding courses, and Advanced courses that you might look into.

Yeah, it's a couple hundred bucks and a weekend's worth of time. Pocket change when you're looking at staying safe and keeping your new $16K toy shiny.

Quote:
I look forward to sharing my impressions about this bike, and learning many things from all of you here.
As for the FJR- this is not your Harley; take some time to get used to it, and viva la difference!
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote