View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Howdy--

I recently came through Mexico, and I did not cancel my TVIP, as I was going to use it on the back side when I came back through. However now, I am in Costa Rica, and I have decided to continue on to South America--and as such I will not be heading back to Mexico--and I will therefore not be able to cancel my TVIP.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of canceling the Mexico TVIP from a different country?

Thanks!

I have been researching TVIP for Mexico also....maybe this will be useful?

Quote:
SchizzMan is offline SchizzMan
del siglo XX
Oddometer: 5,271

Mexico TVIP Problem Solved
Been getting my TVIPs at the Tex-Mex border for 7-8 years now. It's never taken more than 15-20 minutes at the Colombia Bridge crossing near Laredo. Last spring I took Tricepilot's advice and applied for my TVIP online at:

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/im...ionesIITV.html

This is SOP for me now as I like minimizing time and hassle for my border crossings. Who doesn't?

Well, it came time to apply for a new TVIP to return to Mexico City for Christmas and lo and behold I was denied! Reason given on the Banjercito web site was the failure to register the required documents with the TVIP I received last April. I still had the email with attached files I had sent to their email address as well as the confirmation reply I received the very next day. So I resent everything with a kind and respectful note. I never got any reply back.

Long story short:

The Mexican Consulate in Austin gave me this email address for resolving vehicle permit issues with Banjercito:

permisovehiculos@banjercito.com.mx

And this phone number to reach Banjercito in Mexico City (from the US):

011-52-55-53-28-2305

I opted to call and the young lady was very very professional. You will need to ask for someone who speaks English if you don't speak Spanish. I gave her the TVIP number and she had it up on her computer screen in seconds. There had been a rare failure on the bank's part to register the docs after receiving them and she had my passport number unlocked by the next morning so I could proceed with the new application. Total talk time was about 5 minutes.

Lessons learned:

1. keep an on-line record of all correspondence with Banjercito along with the required PDF/JPEG documents for easy resend. This cut my hassle time way down.

2. keep your hard copy receipt when you turn in your TVIP at the border (I'll be scanning it in to file with my other PDFs). This is your only proof that you actually returned the vehicle, in case that's in question. If you get your TVIP at the border be sure to have your previous TVIP receipt, required docs and printed correspondence with you so you have a shot at problem solving at the Banjercito window.

3. before resending req'd docs by email or registered mail ($25+ from Austin), call the Mexico City number and ask them to look up your TVIP number (found on your scanned copy that you sent them) and explain the issue to you.

4. be very polite and appreciative of their efforts to help but also be a bit assertive to avoid getting a runaround. They wanted me to resend everything after admitting their error and I politely asserted that I had already done my part - twice. That got it done.

Although this was my first online TVIP experience and it did produce a hassle I'm going to continue using it as I would rather encounter and resolve a problem from the comfort of my home than after a 250-300 mile ride to the border. Especially now that I'm equipped with their phone number. I'll also begin the process 3 weeks in advance of departure to allow more time to resolve any issues.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote