Thread: 2013 Yamaha FJR
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #162
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post
Thanks for the advice and tips, as I'm a sponge right now about all things concerned with riding. I have vacation next week, so I had already planned to take the basic riding course, just to get the feel again if nothing else. I did ride my son's Harley from the shop to his house a couple of years ago, but that's been about it, as my wife isn't too keen on bikes. I'm trying to be careful, and take it slow and easy.

Speaking of that, I figured that when I pick it up at the dealership I would put it in "tour mode", in hopes that it wouldn't have an abrupt throttle response. That way I might find it easier to take off w/o any issues. I sure don't want to screw the pooch the first day!

I expect my boots and helmet Wednesday, but haven't got the jacket/pants,or gloves yet. I should have at least a few weeks before I can pick it up, so will get those next.

Speaking of gear, has anyone here ever used, or know someone who has used, "motorama.it" ? They have Clover gear much cheaper than the British sites, and that is my first choice. Just not sure about overseas ordering, even though they rate well as a website (security, etc..).

Again, thank you all for your help....I really do appreciate it.
Definitely take the rider course, but then get your gear (helmet etc.) take your new motorcycle cert to a dealer and test ride a bunch of bikes before you start riding you brand new $$$ one. Maybe some old FJR if you can find one. It is so easy to make a bonehead move after 20 years off, would be a shame if it happened on your brand new bike.

Direct experience here, I took close to 30 years off, did my MSF, then test rode quite a few new & used bikes. Slooooowly. Wore off some of the newb jitters on them. But it took quite a few miles to get most of the skills & comfort back (esp in traffic), and modern bikes are so much more capable than mid 70's "sportbike" iron that I used to ride. Most modern big touring bikes are 11 sec 1/4 mile machines, just unbelievable. And the liter bikes are mid 9's off the showroom floor. Handling and brakes just light years ahead.

True story. I was test riding an 08 ZX14 one day, got it out into the country and cracked it open a bit. Thought I was maybe doing 90MPH. Looked down at the speedo. 140. Just nuts. This was after I'd been back to riding for 3 yrs and owned a CBR1100XX. These new bikes are deceptive and you can get over your head real fast.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote