Thread: 2013 Yamaha FJR
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #164
Data
Chameleon

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Definitely take the rider course, but then get your gear (helmet etc.) take your new motorcycle cert to a dealer and test ride a bunch of bikes before you start riding you brand new $$$ one. Maybe some old FJR if you can find one. It is so easy to make a bonehead move after 20 years off, would be a shame if it happened on your brand new bike.

Direct experience here, I took close to 30 years off, did my MSF, then test rode quite a few new & used bikes. Slooooowly. Wore off some of the newb jitters on them. But it took quite a few miles to get most of the skills & comfort back (esp in traffic), and modern bikes are so much more capable than mid 70's "sportbike" iron that I used to ride. Most modern big touring bikes are 11 sec 1/4 mile machines, just unbelievable. And the liter bikes are mid 9's off the showroom floor. Handling and brakes just light years ahead.

True story. I was test riding an 08 ZX14 one day, got it out into the country and cracked it open a bit. Thought I was maybe doing 90MPH. Looked down at the speedo. 140. Just nuts. This was after I'd been back to riding for 3 yrs and owned a CBR1100XX. These new bikes are deceptive and you can get over your head real fast.
You can get some valuable cross learning from riding a bicycle too (yeah the ones you have to pedal). Seriously they help with balance, counter steering, and picking your lines. The physical conditioning doesn't hurt either.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote