View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #6263
sethpatricus
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Possible starter problem?

Hello I am new to the forum and of course have a question about my '05 dr200 with about 6000 miles on it. I bought it this past January from a local fireman in town for $1900 with 1500 miles on it. I rode it from then until about 4 weeks ago when it started hitting the teens daily in the mornings, I had done regular maintenance to it including oil change, cleaning the air filter and lubing the chain regularly.

Recently I decided to change which oil (from mobil 10w-40 to valvoline 10w-40) I used while performing an oil and filter change and about a week afterwards I noticed that if there was any significant change in rpm when downshifting that there would be a groaning/rattling noise coming from the left side of the engine. It also happens if i take off too quickly from a dead stop and don't have the engine up to a high enough rpm. The odd thing is it becomes less frequent as the bike warms up.

So I am not quite sure if that would be a starter going out, a poor quality oil causing the noise or possibly a slipping clutch. any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
sethpatricus is offline   Reply With Quote