View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #91
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
I have nothing against electric starters, in fact on a big high compression engine it's likely the only way to go. But on a relatively modest compression single or twin? I don't think so. I bought a W650 new when the came out in the states (#1 on the list of bikes I never should have sold). I looked at it as well as the new Hinkley Bonnie at the time but chose the W because the level of fit and finish, the kicker was just sort of a perk. After about 15,000 miles I sold it (the 2-3 year restless
for a new bike thing, damn it). It had many charms but what do I miss the most? The kicker. Nothing quite connects you to a bike and turns it from appliance to a machine like a kicker. If you don't agree I believe 99.9% of the street bikes out there are in scope. On the kicker side I think we're down to Urals and Enfields. If they bring it in (I hope) leave it alone, the kicker will be fine for the crazy people who tend to buy new-old-school, like me.