View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
While we're at it. The Road King? Comments? Tourability vs. the other two?
Lyle
The short suspension on the touring bikes already compromises cornering clearance and ride quality, I'd rule out the 1"-lower Street Glide on that criteria alone.

When I was buying, I was torn between the RK and the Electra Glide Classic because where I am they cost nearly the same and the EGC is great bang for the buck. But I went with my heart and got the RK. For touring, the only thing it lacks compared to the EGC is the tour-pak and stereo. The batwing is a toss-up. It gives a bit better wind protection for your arms and hands but you're stuck with it even on the hottest summer days. The RK's large stock windshield still gives very good protection and there are loads of aftermarket options for larger windshields, hand guards and detachable batwings with stereos (I use my android and a Sena SM-10).

I added a detachable tour-pak and fairing lowers to my RK, as well as HD's Sun-Ray seat, which is the heated version of the seat that comes on the Ultra. It makes a great two-up tourer. For solo touring, the saddlebags and a seat bag or sissybar bag would more than suffice if you are a light packer.

Town mode

Touring mode
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 03:44 AM
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote