View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #1820
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Day 53 part 3

The moment we drove towards the campsite I noticed an eagle had landed on the top of a mountain nearby.
After dinner I decided to climb up the mountain to get a better look at the eagle.

When I was hiking up the hill Beamster kept looking how I was doing.
Than Terry spotted a dog like thing standing on the top.
Just before I reached the place where the eagle landed I stopped to have a look.
It turned out to be a Long-legged Buzzard (Buteo rufinus) that I had seen a few times before.
The place it had landed turned out to be its nest. Trying not to disturb the bird I turned round and started to walk back.
At that point Beamster and Terry were waving at me, so I waved back and carried on.

When I was back at the campsite Beamster and Terry asked me: Didn't you see it ?????
See what ???? The big dog on the top they said !! No idea what you two are talking about.

They told me that a dog had been watching me the whole time, and the moment I turned around it chased me down the hill. As I walked down I disappeared behind a ledge and was out of site for 10 min. The dog disappeared behind the same ridge just behind me.

Don't know about Terry, but Beamster was happy to see me again after the 10 min that I was out of sight.

These are some of the other birds I had seen near the campsite.
Desert Wheatear Oenanthe deserti

This Cinereous Vulture (Aegypius monachus)was resting here for the night. The picture isn't showing much.
But the bird was about 700 meters from our campsite. Than you can imagine how big those birds are. They stand 105 cm's tall with a wing span up to 295cm.

Some other birds that I have seen were:
Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus)
Masked Wagtail (Motacilla personata)
Calandra Lark (Melanocorypha calandra)

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote