View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
OK. We have a little initial interest. Depending how the groups tally up, here's some thoughts.

AtlasEXP has offered to lead the little bikes, and I'm hoping to do at least one day on the KDX myself. We discovered some tasty small bike routes last Fall, which we'll try to extend this spring. The state park is much more friendly for trailering bikes in than the Palace of the People, as it is better adapted to RVs. I'd still suggest that people who are trailering try to group up to avoid having too many vehicles on site.

Anton's style is a small-bike adventuring mode. He rides hard, but not fast. The technical end of things will be more important than raw speed.

Plated, street-legal bikes are a must. Vermont is pretty lenient as far as regulations go. Hi/Low beam, horn, tail/brake lights one mirror and a plate should cover it. Have license, registration and insurance card on you. Turn signals are not required in VT. I'd highly recommend soft, grippy knobbies or trials tires. You can usually get away with non-DOT tires here. If you are running dual-sport tires, they should be on the aggressive side. Tires for 90% road use will not cut the mustard. There will be rocks, mud, trees, and water crossings if we can at all help it. The definition of a small bike is variable. I certainly would not recommend anything larger than a very dirt-oriented 650 in the hands of an exceptionally skilled rider. You'll have a better time the lighter and nimbler your machine is. I intend to do the pre-runs on either the DRZ400 or my KDX200.

There will be no tech inspection or any other silliness like that. We expect people to be able to take responsibility for themselves and wipe their own backsides. Really loud mufflers will be frowned upon, as we have to get along with our neighbors. Bring tools and spares, especially tubes and tire changing gear. We will make GPX tracks available, and I highly advise that every rider have a GPS and the knowledge of how to use it.

The big dual-sport ride is something many of you are familiar with. Again, I'd stress having as aggressive a tire as you can mount within reason. This will be over gravel logging and forest roads, with some tech sections thrown in. It is not a place for road-oriented tires, particularly if there is wet weather. Be prepared to ride about 200 to 250 miles per day over as much gravel as I can loop together. Have navigational gear and know how to use it.

The road bikes have generally taken care of themselves. The road surfaces around VT are not particularly suited for stiff or unforgiving suspension. Certain paved roads here will make you wish for a dirt bike. However, there are hundreds of miles of good pavement and some spectacular scenery.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 09:24 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote