Originally Posted by lineareagle
So I actually did see an ortho about removing the hardware.
1. You should have it done by whoever put it in.
2. They probably won't do it either if it has been more than a year or so unless you have some MAJOR issues with it.
3. The reason is there are so may different styles and types of hardware and not everyone will have the correct stuff.
4. If you insist make sure you go to a major trauma hospital as they are the only ones that will have all the specialized equipment to take out the screws if they break off the heads.
5. He wouldn't touch it because he knows they don't have the right stuff and he isn't interested in doing battle with and making a mess of trying to remove it.
OK, well that clears things up. Guess I am in the club for the duration, hope it can be recycled after they burn away the external bits.
That lines up well with what I was told after mine was installed. If I break it again, it'll be a big job to fix properly, so the lesson is don't break it. Additionally, the doc who did my work has been retired for many years now, so getting him back in the OR for a bit of rework won't be easy -if its possible at all.