View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #50568
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
I am considering an XRL for its off road bias . Being air cooled, is it ever an issue with heat and riding slowly or idling ? thanks , Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Mine seems to run cooler at lower speeds.......perhaps my jetting is biased towards richer mixtures at lower throttle openings. Loads on the engine result in the highest temps for me. I am running dave's mods with the leanest recommended jets: 52/158 if I recall.
I have gone into the garage after a spring ride to hear the gas boiling in the gas tank (IMS 4.0)

I personally don't think additional finning or oil coolers are necessary on this bike as long as you take reasonable precautions to keep the bike cool. before I bought mine, the PO ran it 65 mph up Black Canyon hill on I17 year round and didn't frag the engine....that was with stock jetting
Letting the engine idle, or riding slowly won't cause problems as long as engine rpms aren't high. However, riding at high rpms for extended periods of time can definitely cause problems, especially if you have removed the stock air scoops from the fuel tank.

If you ride prudently, and you don't remove the stock air scoops, you shouldn't have any problems. However, if you consistently ride the bike hard, you can definitely encounter problems. If you ride hard consistently and also remove the stock air scoops, your chances of overheating the engine increase significantly. Honda put the stock air scoops on the bike for a reason; they are very effective in lowering engine temperatures.

If you install an aftermarket fuel tank, the stock air scoops must be removed. If you remove the air scoops for any reason, and also ride the bike hard, it's prudent to consider installing an oil cooler or big-fin cylinder to compensate for the increased engine temperatures. If you install an oil dipstick thermometer on a bike with the stock fuel tank, you can document the difference in oil temperatures when the air scoops are removed, and re-installed.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote