View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
I hooked my 550 up to the computer and started to do the Garmin update for grins. It first installed the map installer or did something that updated the 550 so it now says 2012 when it boots up when started. So far that didn't cost a thing so I stopped right there. Hopefully it updated the firmware or software or whatever makes it work and seems to work good but I haven't had in on the road yet.

My thinking is that they haven't changed the road system much since the 2009 maps mine has on it. Maybe to find a new street address or someplace new but I'll try it this way for a while. I am cheap and considering a 660 anyway.

The biggest hassle I had was riding down a state or back road highway and the GPS not showing the road. What's up with that?? I always have a paper backup in the tank bag. Maybe the free 2012 issue/update will fix that.
Actually the road have changed alot in the last few years.. I thought the same a you for a while, then while traveling fron Tx to Indianapolis in 2011 the zumo has me take an exit in St. Louis... I found my self in a industrial area at 5 pm rush hour.. zumo was still dertimined we going the right way so i follwed her till she wanted me to go left and there was no left... I pulled over by an the building in the shade.. JULY it was about 100 degrees. Then a relized there was a homless guy hanging out over there too.. so pulled out in the middle of a big empty parking lot and reexamened where i was.. I could see the St Louis Arch so rode that direction.. got there and pulled out my paper map.. reprogramed my zumo... enjoyed the arch for a while and headed on.. I updated the maps asap... In 2012 i took the same trip and mrs zumo got me through St Louis with no problems..
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote