View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #5032
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
What looks (noticeably) bad about the wiring on the back wall? I'm pretty sure that's original work, not that that's a good thing... I'm not about to redo all the wiring on a rental!
I wouldn't redo a rental, either. It might pay to get friendly with your landlord and have them consider hiring an electrician to help you and to protect the property and your life. If your city requires inspections of properties for sale, that property would have to be brought up to code.

Obvious stuff: There are no wire protectors on the wire running through the studs. The wires running to that switchbox(?), in the corner, aren't through the corner studs and unprotected. That particular circuit is clearly added into an existing circuit, by the way the left wall is cut into. If you're sheeting that back wall, the switchbox(?) must face out, as there can't be any type of box concealed by sheating. Also, you need to verify that circuit (how it's mated to the existing circuit, appropriate gauge wire/breaker, protection, etc). None of the wiring is secured to the studs with staples, as required in any code. Some codes have switch/outlet height restrictions.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote