View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #396
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 332
The entire Ducati 848/1098/1198 series of bikes.

I'm pretty used to the sport bike riding position. I ride an SVS and I've ridden friend's R6s, ZX6s, et. al., without too much of an issue. So, I just kept telling myself, how bad could it be, really?

However, one bored Saturday morning, I finally worked up the courage to ride over to the Ducati/Aprilia/Triumph dealer the next state over. I've been avoiding doing so as I have a serious lust problem. My lust is already strong when seeing photos, but the lust gets out of control when dealing with these magical beasts we called motorcycles in the flesh.

Anyway, upon arriving, I went over to an 848 EVO Dark perched in the corner with a grin in my face and a skip in my step. Swung a leg over and the smile gradually faded. Never have I sit on such an ass-high bike in my life, and I felt like I was going to slide forward and over the front wheel. And the seat? What seat? Sitting directly on the trellis frame would have been more pleasant. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I just felt a sense of "this is ridiculous" that I didn't feel sitting on other sport bikes.

Now, now, don't get me wrong; I totally understand the purpose and intended use of these motorcycles. I'm speaking SOLELY from my personal perspective I understand these are track weapons, but any bike I own will have to contend with a certain level of traffic duty from time to time, as I don't exactly live next door to the twisty roads in my town. The thought of getting caught in lunch-time traffic on something like that is the stuff of nightmares. Just the wrong tool for the job.

I know the squid factor is high, but the GSX-R series of bikes are easily the most comfortable sport bikes I've ridden for whatever reason, and I can see why they're so popular.

My loins still lust after a Ducati sport bike, though. Not surprising really; rarely have any wise decisions come about with one's loins at the helm.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote