View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #6396
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
BergDonk don't forget to troubleshoot battery problems you can also try inserting AA batteries as an experiment. While 3 AA's put out 4.5-4.8volts, I'm a bit surprised at the voltage rating on the LithiumIon being so much lower than that?
As I noted above, it works fine with 3 AAs and as you point out, if they are in series as seems likely, then 4.5-4.8 V. USB is supposed to be 5 V +/- 0.25V, so that's what it gets when connected to the PC, and presumably the supplied mains charger which is labelled 5 V 1 A.

The labelling on my LiIon battery pack indicates 3.7 V, 2000 mAh, 7.4 Wh. I assume the Montana's actual operating voltage must be down around 3.3-3.5 V after regulation, assuming that 3.7 V is the correct LiIon spec for the Montana.

My LiIon battery measures 3.77 V across the 2 outer pins and other lesser voltages with other pin combinations. What I don't know is why it has 4 pins, and what the voltage across the various combinations of the 4 pins should be.

If someone could measure the voltage of pins. 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4 for me that'd be really helpful in working out if its the battery or GPS. The pin nos I've arbitrarily assigned are if you remove the battery from the GPS, stand it on its end with the pin connections up, and on the left, and 1-4 are left to right.