View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #77
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Thoughts

Ditch the roll charts. Cut the relevant pages out of the atlases, and ditch the rest. Consider Garmin's 24K topos -- routeable like City navigator, but detailed with terrain.

Ditch the water bottles. Keep your camelbak refilled at each gas stop. You should drink a minimum of 2L while riding during the day. When it's cool and dry, you will have to force yourself to drink that much. You'll get liquids with meals too, don't forget. If you're sweating a lot, then drink more. If you're not thirsty, drink at least the 2 liters. If you're thirsty, then drink more. If you're eating a normal diet, then you don't need any of that electrolyte replacement neon-colored crap. Pure marketing genius is all it is. At your last gas stop for the day, fill the dromedary too if you anticipate no water at your camp destination.

For emergencies, (and even for campsite pump water early / late season the water isn't certified, they recommend filter and/or boiling), get a filter, we use the Kadadyn Hiker pro. Even in the desert you will cross water every so often.

If you need a bottle to carry water for a section or two, buy 2 liters of soda or water, and refill it. On occasion, we've even bought some horrid off-brand "cola" for 89¢ and immediately dumped it in the parking lot, went back into the store and refilled the empty with water.

Consider Sweetcheeks; we refill the bottles with gas when we have to, then ditch them and buy new bottles. Fill with water when needed, otherwise run them empty, nearly weightless and makes a dirt bike seat tolerable for long straight stretches.

Way too many gloves. Consider heated grips, one pair of riding gloves, and one pair of camp gloves (for collecting firewood, chopping, grabbing hot pots, etc)

Tool kit looks good.
Kermit is totally worth it's weight.
So is this pillow.
Down still rocks. Keep it dry.

I don't run heated clothes -- too much to tangle in the event of a rider-bike disconnect (crash). Others swear by them.
If you're going to run a heated vest, etc, then definitely ditch the layers. If you want all the layers, then ditch the heated gear.

You can restock proper dehydrated meals in any bigger town that has an outfitter -- elk country. But also regular grocery stores have: Ramen, mac & cheese, salami, canned stew, chili, tuna, salad-in-a-bag... etc. You should have enough food with you to survive two days, but you will be able to buy groceries when you buy gas. We keep the dehydrated meals for emergencies and desperation, otherwise we're cooking fresh food we picked up that day whenever possible.

Chain maintenance: I've tried it all. No lube, teflon spray, auto-oilers, silicone spray. My current system: I carry a small leakproof nalgene bottle of gear oil, and a separate drip nozzle that I store in a pill bottle so it doesn't mess anything else up. At the end of each day (and at gas stops if it's really dusty / dirty), I inspect the chain, and then run a bead of gear oil on everyplace that's easily accessible. I don't go nuts, but I do it consistently. I am happy with this system. It is the first time I haven't replaced chains and sprockets after 5-6000 miles.

Remind me, have I sent you our packing list excel spreadsheet?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote