View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

I gave up on routes several years ago because of many problems with routing and I now use tracks for bike trips.

I was recently on a business trip with two guys who were using routing with audible directions for simple navigating around a city. The unit was giving ridiculous directions and which got even worse when the driver properly ignored them.

I guess there must some secrets to making routing work, but I have never found them.
you doing it wrong then.My brother and i went on a big trip in australia last year.i was not fussed with having a gps but my brother has a garmin 2xxx.He got new maps before we went and plotted the whole route.We could easily have done the trip without the gps outside of Sydney but it was invaluable in getting into(and out of) Sydney and back to the rental car place
.It may not have taken us the most direct or "best" way but it got us there,and got us back on course when we missed one turn at a busy intersection.
It would have been a much more difficult(and stressful) process without it.We had voice propmts all the way so i just had to concentrate on dealing with the traffic and driving, and the gps did the navigating.