View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #405
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
OK, here is my story about a lame dealer (which has since gone out of business). When shopping for an adventure bike, I stopped in at the Yamaha dealer in Manteca. I said I needed an adventure bike bigger than 700cc for 2-up riding. He said they didn't make one. When I asked him about the Super Tenere, he said he'd never heard of it or seen it. No brochure, nothing. He didn't even offer to look it up on the Yamaha website (his computer was 10 feet away). Talk about not knowing your product...
I had a similar situation happen at a Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati dealership (may have even had Triumph too) that also had a large HD dealership next door. Even the non HD shop was heavily into cruisers. Anyway this was around the time that the original DL1000 V-Strom came out. It was during the work day and I was in between appointments (outside sales) so I stopped in to check the V-Strom out. I drove up in a nice late model car and had on business clothes. Conversation went like this, after a salesman finally acknowledged me after I spent 10-15 minutes kicking tires.

Salesman: Can I help you?

Me: Sure, thanks. I am thinking of getting a new bike and am interested in the V-Strom and would like to check it out.

Salesman: (with a dumb founded look on face) Uhh, what's that?

Me: This is a Suzuki dealership isn't it?

Salesman: (still looking dumb founded) Yeah....

Me: Well.....

Salesman: (a light bulb coming on) Oh yeah. Nah, we ain't got one of those.

Me: OK, will you be getting one in?

Salesman: Probably not. We can't sell sport bikes.

Me: Ok thanks.

And I turn around and leave. The guy made no attempt to engage me at all in a conversation about motorcycles and I told him I was thinking of a new bike. I am in my late 40's, obviously not poor and looking for a new bike.

I have spent a life in sales and I am by no means the best sales guy out there, but come on now. How do these guys get jobs selling anything????

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote