View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #46
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
"A Goldwing has the top leg horizontal with a 90 degree bend to the pegs. (Mid-Controls a.k.a. feet forward) No dual sport bike I have ever seen has had "Mid-controls. They are ALL standard! I have been on this forum for a long time and you are the most confused and contradictory inmate I have ever come across"

What do you mean mid controls = feet forward" Mid controls, with a 90 degree knee bend and a straight upright riding position, with bars you can reach with a decent bend in your elbowsIS a standard. Feet forward is where the controls are several inches forward of that, as in a cruiser. You still sit upright, but your legs are straighter. Some people don't like this position, because having your feet so far forward tends to push your upper body backward, the "cruiser slouch" The cure for this on a cruiser with forward mount pegs is a riders backrest to support your upper body. A "sport bike" riding position has low bars, that you have to lean forward to reach, which puts anywhere from a little to a whole lot (depending on the bike) of your upper body weight on the bars (your arms and shoulders, like doing pushups) since you are bent over, if you keep your neck straight, you will be looking at the instruments or the top of the tank. You have to bend you neck up to see where you are going. Like walking around looking up all the time. This puts a lot of strain on your arms, shoulders, and neck. The pegs are also rearset, about where the passenger pegs would be on a standard bike, maybe a little higher. This bends your knees as far as they will go, and points your toes almost straight down, rather than straight ahead, as on a standard bike.

Go find yourself an early '80s Japanese "standard" bike, like a KZ650 (not a cruiser) and see what the riding position is like. It won't be anything like an EX500, it will be almost the same as a Goldwing. The Goldwing is specifically designed for touring, and has what is the most comfortable riding position for most people including me. I had a 1200 Goldwing, now a 1500, the riding position is almost exactly the same. Standard. Bikes like the ST1300, FJR1300, and Concours 1400 are much more sport oriented, with low bars and rearset pegs. Not as much as a GSXR, but way more than a standard. I've been riding since 1968, I think I know what a standard is.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote