View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #86
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Motorcycle tent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
As a rule I pretty much automatically assume that non-clothing gear that is labeled "motorcycle" or "motorcycling" is at best: overpriced, and at worst: a rubbish ripoff.

There is no such a thing as a "motorcycle tent" unless you include those tiny tent trailers designed to work only behind a bike. There are tents that have pole systems that fit your desired packing system and ones that weigh what you are willing to lug around on your bike. Even ridiculous (IMO) tents with built in garages that might work for the bike. Stuff that works for you and your bike and stuff that does not.

The older I get the more I find that a lighter bike is wanted and so backpacking gear is the direction. Then I find that, like lightweight backpackers, I must decide what is worth splurging on and what is not...my priorities tend to lean toward comfortable sleeping and good food. I will spend and do what it takes to make that work and still keep things as light as possible. Sleeping comfort means being warm and dry (off the ground for this rider...hammock camper). I say don't scrimp on your insulation and weather protection but shop well as the most expensive is not always the best choice. Snarky gots it right...the label means nothing caveat emptor.